The Downtown Little Rock Partnership is encouraging the celebration of a new holiday for central Arkansas, and is providing an outlet for local businesses to join in on the celebration by advertising themed promotions at no charge.
Hot Springs is encouraged to join 84 other central Arkansas communities in celebrating "501 Day" -- a new holiday taking place May 1.
"We're starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel of this pandemic, and we wanted to do something to celebrate the beauty and resilience of our region and its local businesses," Gabe Holmstrom, executive director of Downtown Little Rock Partnership, said in a news release.
"During a brainstorming session one day, we realized we had this great opportunity to celebrate the 501 on 5/01. We got on the phone with some other 501 cities and it snowballed from there," he said.
According to the release, on 501 Day, businesses and organizations are encouraged to show their "501 pride" with special 501-themed offers, activities, merchandise, public art displays and "whatever else they dream up."
These ideas can then be taken to posted at celebrate501.com.
Video not playing? Click here https://www.youtube.com/embed/FVqGaa2TIgY
According to the website, some ideas on how to get involved with the event include:
• Host a 5.01K run, hike or bike race.
• Offer a $5.01 discount off a purchase of $25 or more.
• Offer $5.01 admission to ticketed attractions such as museums and zoos.
• Encourage charitable donations of $5.01 or $50.10.
• Offer happy hour specials beginning at 5:01 p.m.
• Gather volunteers for community cleanup or beautification projects.
• Sponsor public art installations or music performances.
• Join the #Celebrate501 social media campaign by sharing favorite local places and things to do.
"501 Day is exactly what you make of it," the website said. "Each community in central Arkansas is encouraged to engage their people, organizations and businesses with creative ways to celebrate. The options stretch as far as the imagination can go."
For more information or to include a business "501 Day" promotion in Hot Springs' category, visit http://www.celebrate501.com, or call the Downtown Little Rock Partnership at 501-375-0121.