Today's Paper Sports Obits Time Tour Tablet Help Podcasts Public Notices Crime Puzzles Contact us Classifieds HER Jobs Newsletters
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

The Pie Poll

OPINION by Harry Porter | November 20, 2022 at 4:00 a.m.

As the holidays approach the popularity of pies jumps significantly. Recent data collected by Premise Research found that 46% of all pies consumed are eaten during Thanksgiving. An additional 41% of all pies are enjoyed during Christmas. Combining the two holidays means that an astounding 87% of pie consumption occurs during the holidays. Leaving only a measly 13% eaten during the remainder of the year.

I thought these statistics seemed out of line until I started asking people about the last time they enjoyed some pie. Fascinatingly, most of the people I asked said the holidays were the last time they partook of fruity pastry.

One of my favorite childhood memories is enjoying a delicious peach pie at Christmas dinner. My mother heated up the frozen Sara Lee pie with such care. Since I was the only one that liked peach it was a delicacy that I solely enjoyed. The rest of my family preferred pecan pie. My mother made those from scratch each year. She made three pecan pies each Christmas and they were usually all gone by noon on the day after Christmas. Not my peach pie, though. I got to enjoy peach pie as a dessert for three or four days after the initial feast.

According to Premise Research, my family was an anomaly. Their numbers show that pumpkin pie rules the holiday season. A mind-boggling 34% of folks list pumpkin as their favorite pie. I, for one, am shocked. I hate pumpkin pie and so did my whole family.

Apple pie occupies the silver medal space in the round dessert arena. Apple is a favorite of 18% of pie appreciators. I am as American as the next person and I certainly enjoy a good slice of apple pie. Of course, it has to have vanilla ice cream on the side or it just is not complete. I recall a few apple pies gracing our holiday table but not many.

My family's familiar confection comes in at number three on the list. Pecan pie is the favorite of 17% of pie connoisseurs. Awfully low placement for something so prevalent, especially in the southern United States.

The remainder of the list is as follows: sweet potato 9%, chocolate 8%, cherry 5% and other 3%. I guess my precious peach falls in the other category. This places me into the minority with mincemeat, key lime and rhubarb.

I must admit I do not understand the fascination with pumpkin. I blame Starbucks. Ever since they came along and turned pumpkin spice into some sort of cult, peach has been falling in the pie polls.

It seems like in the last few years pumpkin spice has interjected itself into all facets of our lives. There is pumpkin spice toothpaste, beard oil, shampoo, eye shadow and even cat litter. The fascination with pumpkin spice is strange.

All this pumpkin stuff really strikes a gourd with me. However, I will squash it and move on. For me, everything is still just peachy.

Print Headline: The Pie Poll

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsor Content

ADVERTISEMENT

Recommended for you

ADVERTISEMENT