Man charged with alleged assault on pregnant girlfriend

Bryan Wesley Owens (Submitted photo)
Bryan Wesley Owens (Submitted photo)

A local man was arrested early Sunday on a felony battery charge for an alleged assault on his pregnant girlfriend the day before after returning to her apartment again.

Bryan Wesley Owens, 24, who lists an Administration Lane address, was taken into custody shortly after 4:30 a.m. and charged with third-degree domestic battery, a felony punishable by up to six years in prison.

Owens, who lists no prior felony history, was being held on a zero bond and was set to appear Monday in Garland County District Court.

According to the probable cause affidavit, around 8:15 p.m. Saturday, Hot Springs police Officer Will Brakefield responded to an apartment in the 800 block of Spring Street regarding a battery where the Black male suspect had fled on foot, last seen running east on Spring Street toward Grand Avenue.

Officers were unable to locate the suspect in the area and Brakefield went to the bus stop near the female victim's apartment to meet with her. He noted she was "visibly upset" and had numerous scratches on her face, including one over her left eye and one on her nose, and abrasions on her left cheek and below her right eye.

She stated she was babysitting for her cousin when a known suspect, identified as Owens, came to the apartment and started an argument with her over another male. She noted she and Owens have been in an on-and-off relationship for the last couple of years and have a son together.

She said she had been upstairs in the apartment and was trying to get around Owens to go downstairs and outside when he grabbed her by the hair and "began jerking her around." When she tried to get away from him, she said he began hitting and scratching her in the face.

At one point, Owens allegedly let go of her hair and then kicked her in the stomach. The victim noted she is currently pregnant and Owens was aware of it. She also noted she was holding her 1-year-old son during the altercation and dropped him due to the struggle with Owens.

No injuries were observed on the child at the time of the report. LifeNet responded to the scene to check the woman and her son and both were assessed and released. The victim noted she would go to the doctor on her own to "make sure there were no complications with her pregnancy."

On Sunday, around 2 a.m., Owens allegedly returned to the apartment on Spring and made entry inside by climbing through a window. The victim heard him coming inside and confronted him.

Owens then allegedly struck her again in the right eye and it was later noted she had redness on the inner part of her eye.

The victim called police around 4:30 a.m. to let them know Owens had returned and Brakefield responded to the scene again and made contact with the victim through an upstairs window. She told him Owens was on the living room sofa, but she was scared to come down the stairs to open the door.

After speaking to Brakefield for a few minutes, she grabbed her son, came downstairs and opened the door for police. Brakefield and Cpl. Ben Mitchell made entry into the apartment and found Owens on the sofa and took him into custody without incident.

Upcoming Events